Information About Us

Management Committee

The village hall is a registered charity with the registration number 226590.

There is a 6 strong Management Committee which has sole responsibility for the day-to-day running of the affairs and finances of the charity.

There is a Chairman, Treasurer, Bookings Officer and 3 other committee members. The 6 members of the Management Committee are also designated as Charity Trustees under the definition used by the Charity Commission. Trustees are elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.

Current committee

Chair:Paul Bennett
Treasurer:Graham Powell
Bookings Officer:Karla Evans
Committee Member:Sue Coombs
Committee Member: John Coombs
Committee Member: David Pritchard
Committee Member: John Wilson

History of the Village Hall

The Village Hall was the idea of John Henry Stokes, the famous Edwardian breeder of hunters, and commemorates the Coronation of Edward V11.

In July 1902, he negotiated the purchase of land for the Hall from Christ Church College, Oxford for £5. The Coales and Johnson Architectural practice designed the hall and a local builder, W.A. Martin began the building works in April 1903. The hall was completed four months later at a total cost of £424 (equivalent to about £53,000 today).

In September 1939, Leicestershire County Council rented the Hall as a school for London evacuees who were lodging locally. It was also used as an Air Raid Precautions Centre and a base for the Home Guard. The Hall was to be used again as a school from 1970 to 1983 because of the rise in numbers of children in the village.

Since then, it has been used by a variety of community groups of all ages and types of activity.

There have been several improvements to the Hall over the years including an award-winning extension and refurbishment in 2007 and more recent improvements to the kitchen, toilets and the installation of new windows.

Click here for a more detailed history of the village hall.